From IWA Website: The International Water Association (IWA) is the global network of 10,000 water professionals spanning the continuum between research and practice and covering all facets of the water cycle.
This award recognises professionals under the age of 35, who are either water sector practitioners or from research/academia and have had both outstanding career achievement to date and the potential to play a large and influential role in the water industry in the future.
Through the two years that the winner holds the award, the award holder becomes and ambassador of IWA (International Water Association) and the IWA Young Water Professionals Programme.
Eligibility and Criteria: Young professionals under the age of 35, who are either water sector practitioners or from research/academia. Awardees will have:
- An outstanding career achievement (either through their scientific contribution as researchers or working in the water industry) to date
- The potential to play a large and influential role in the water industry in the future.
- A demonstrable contribution to the public good in water
- Actively contributed to the promotion and development of IWA and the IWA YWP programme.
- Dr Enrique Cabrera Jr, Spain (2008-2010)
- Dr How Yong Ng, Singapore(2006-2008)
- Dr. Till Merkel, Germany (2004-2006)
- Dr. Daniel Deere, Australia (2002-2004)
- Prof. Lin Wang, China (2001-2002)
- Dr. Matthias Maier, Germany (2000-2001)
- Prof. Dr. Urs von Gunten, Switzerland (1999-2000)
Dr. Norhayati Abdullah, now a lecturer at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor Bahru campus. Born and raised in Labis, Johor, Norhayati received her early education at Sekolah Kebangsaan Kampung Tenang in Labis. Her secondary education was at Sekolah Seri Puteri, Kuala Lumpur.
She obtained her B. Eng. Civil Engineering (Environmental Engineering) from Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, MSc in Environmental Engineering from Newcastle University, England. She recently obtained her PhD via collaborative works between Universiti Teknologi Malaysia and Newcastle University, England under the supervision of Prof. Datuk Ir. Dr. Zaini Ujang, Dr. Adibah Yahya and Prof. Thomas Curtis.
She began her academic career in Universiti Teknologi Malaysia in 2008 and known to be actively involved with IWA as the IWAYWP Committee for Asia and Pacific Region. Norhayati published her research on aerobic granulation using palm oil mill effluent (POME) in Bioresource Technology and also presented her work at the House of Commons London during the SET for Britain Engineering Competition in 2010. Norhayati is currently the Programme Coordinator for the IWA-UTM International Publication Workshop series which was held at UTM last March 2012.
The 2nd series of similar workshop will be held in January 2013. She is also one of the organizing committee for the forthcoming 3rd IWA Development Congress and Exhibition 2013 in which Kenya plays the role as the host for this prestigious congress. She loves reading, travelling and cooking for her family. Norhayati is wife to Dr. Muhamad Ali Muhammad Yuzir, also a UTM lecturer, and mother to Adam (9) and Harris (6).
- Best Platform Presentation Award, 1st National IWAYWP Conference & Exhibition, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 2010, represented Malaysia to 5th International Young Water Professionals Conference in Sydney, Australia.
- Best Student Presentation Award, IWA-ASPIRE International Conference & Ehibition, Taipei, Taiwan, October 2009.
- Anugerah Naib Canselor (Deputy Vice Cancellor Award), UTM Convocation Ceremony, in academic session 2002/2003, 15th March 2003, for excellence in academic and curricular activities.
- Tokoh Puteri Wilayah Persekutuan, awarded by Persatuan Puteri Islam Malaysia (PPIM), Kuala Lumpur, 1997.